National Service Scheme (NSS)
The Motto of NSS "Not Me But You", reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students develop appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration to other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS underlines the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society on the whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
In our college we have two NSS units: Unit 36 and Unit 94 consisting a total of 200 student volunteers. The volunteers have to complete 2 years of regular work and a 7- day’s special residential camp. The main projects completed by the two units are:
- Construction of ‘Thadayana’ across Gayathry puzha at Kondazhy.
- Compost pits in the houses in Yakara Panchayath.
- Organ donation and Blood Donation Camps.
- Distribution of cloth bags to the students and staff of the college.
- Planting of mango trees in the Campus.
- Awareness campaign and tree saplings distribution to people residing in different wards of Ottapalam Municipality.
- Cleaning of Govt. Hospitals in Ottapalam.
- Road awareness classes for college students and others.
- Distribution of “Onapudava” to the poor.
- Cleaning of public roads.
- Cleaning public ponds.
- Taking part in various activities related to “Bharatha Puzha Samrakshnam”.
- Health Survey in different wards.
- Observed the World environment day
- Energy conservation awareness campaign
- Organ donation workshop
- Mass run on National Integration day
- AIDS awareness rally
- Observation of palliative care day
- Motivation class By Sri Ganesh
- Blood donation and detection camp in association with district hospital and P K Das hospital, Vaniyamkulam.
- The annual camp of unit 36 was at Yakkara, Palghat. The main project undertaken by the volunteers was the construction of compost pit in selected houses of 30th ward of Palghat Municipality. One ayurvedic medical camp was also organized.
- The annual camp of Unit 94 is at Saraswathi Vilasam School, Kondazhy. Volunteers constructed a temporary bund over Gayathri river.