Walk With a Scholar (WWS)
Co-ordinator: Ms. DEEPTHI C
Walk With a Scholar (WWS) scheme, which introduces the idea of mentoring and builds on the concept of a mentor as a ‘Guide’ and ‘Friend’ is meant for students in Under Graduate Programs. The scheme is open to 30 students of the first year N.S.S. College, Ottapalam of the Under Graduate Programme of Study in a college which will continue till 3rd year of their study. It provides needy students with guidance and orientation to prepare students for employment or select areas for higher study. The mentoring scheme is planned to identify the opportunities available for the scholars, the areas suitable for them, and the manner in which the scholar should proceed before them and evolve ways by which they can be acquired. Faculty from respective institutions are the Internal Mentors for the programme, the External Mentors are from Industry and other professions including Engineering, Medicine and Media. Motivational Camps, visits and programmes are conducted as part of the programme. The Scheme aims at giving necessary orientation to needy students, to prepare themselves for employment and give them necessary guidance, motivation and necessary mental support to identify appropriate areas for higher study as well as employment. From various departments, 30 students are selected from the first-year undergraduation programme. They are divided into 5 groups of six members under 5 internal mentors.
The important activities were
- Personality development classes by Dr. Rengarajan and Dr. Mary Matilda (Retd. Professors, Maharajas College, Ernakulam).
- Career orientation classes by Dr. Sethumadhavan (KVASU, Wayanad) and Dr. Senthil.
- Class on confidence building by Dr. Abhilash, Counselling psychologist, Palakkad.
- Motivational classes by Dr. K C Mathews, Principal, Marthoma College, Ayur and Mr. Nissar.
- Mental support class by Dr. C N Balakrishnan, Psychologist, Calicut.
- Class on English communication Dr. P K Babu, Head, Dept of English, Unity Women’s College, Manjeri and Dr. Vijayakumar N.S.S. College, Ottapalam.
- Motivational visit to IIT, Chennai during 2016 March. 30 students were taken to IIT Chennai to make them experience the quality of higher education. A class was arranged by the faculty and students were taken to various departments for a visit.
- Praveen, B.Sc Industrial Chemistry was selected to participate the State Motivation Camp at Socio Religious Centre (SRC), Christ Hall, Malapparamba, Kozhikode.
- Classes on preparation for competitive examinations like Civil Services by Dr. Alby.
- Mock interviews and group discussions by Mr. Rajesh.
Annual Report 2018-19
Palakkad – Ponnani Rd,
Office: 0466 224 4382